Monday, May 09, 2011

Piggies.


"Piggies", 8 x 10 oil on canvas

Everything off the easel lately is seems to be an 8 x 10 canvas. That is because I found a deal on a ten-pack of 8 x 10 canvases, and I toned them all at once, so they are ready to paint. It's a convenient size, made even more so by the fact that I found a source of 8 x 10 floater frames at my local art supply store, so that when these little paintings are finished, I can frame them up and they're ready to go. I have painted these piglets before, but I loved this pose of them snuggling in together. Piglets seem to love being one of a crowd, a foreign concept to someone who grew up as an only child.

Speaking of being in a crowd, I had the privilege tonight to start rehearsing with the ensemble for a local production of Sweeney Todd. As someone who likes to sing, but cannot sing well, it is a treat to participate with a cast of at least 30 voices, and to hear them all harmonize, even mine--since I cannot hit the high note, I drop down an octave when necessary. The music is tricky for Sweeney Todd, but our music director can work miracles. I was looking forward to doing this again since last summer's experience with Oliver, and I need something to replace the endless soundtrack of Food, Glorious Food that still pops into my brain whenever I cook dinner.
After doing Sweeney Todd, I may have much more horrific images in my brain when I cook dinner. Meat pies, anyone?