Monday, December 19, 2005

Christmas week is here, and I'm starting to feel like I can relax. A few holiday events are behind me, my shopping is more or less done, and now we just have to wait for the big day. A five-year-old in the house can really add to the excitement. He knows exactly how many days there are until Christmas, thanks to an advent calendar. The first thing he has to do in the morning is rush out to the kitchen and open another little door. Then he counts how many closed doors are left, and announces how many days are left. That little advent calendar was worth every penny.
I really should be working in the studio tonight--I have a free evening, and some brand-new paintbrushes. I just might psych myself up to go out and paint after I finish this. Yes, it's a fact that artists sometimes really do have to psych themselves up to work. Especially when my painting time is in the evening, when it's just so easy to settle down on the couch. The thing is, usually when I do force myself to start a painting, or to start working on something in progress, then the juices start flowing and I can work contentedly for an hour or two or three. I don't know if I could paint longer than that. I don't think I've ever had that long a period of time to spend at it.
It is so much easier to get right to work when there is a new painting that I am excited to start working on. At the moment, I have one piece waiting for the final varnish to dry, and a couple of small oils on the easel, but nothing new in the works.
After Christmas, I will be getting back into full gear.